The “Save the Tiger 5K” race at the Palm Beach Zoo & Conservation Society, presented by Sagicor Life Insurance Company, is now certified through the “Athletes For A Fit Planet” sustainability pledge program.
The pledge seal indicates the Zoo pledges to incorporate the following green or sustainable practices in the running event, taking place on Saturday, May 17, 2014, at 7:30 a.m.:
- Reduce paper waste by requiring at least 80% online registration. The Zoo will only use paper registration for a limited number of race day registrations.
- Provide recycling bins at the event for recycling paper, cardboard, plastic, etc. There are currently recycling bins all around Zoo grounds.
- Use recyclable goodie bags. The Zoo will use recyclable envelopes with at least 20% post-consumer recycled materials for registration packets/goodie bags.
- Use green portable toilets. The portable toilets in the southwest corner of the main parking lot, provided by In & Out Portables of West Palm Beach, use non-toxic chemicals and recycled paper products.
- The Zoo is reusing signage from the “Save the Panther 5k” January race during the “Save the Tiger 5k” May event to reduce waste and the impact of additional production.
- Local-sourced materials. The “Save the Tiger 5k” awards are sourced locally from Awards Etc. in Jupiter, FL, and are made of recycled metals.
- All food waste (banana peels, orange peels, un-eaten bagel portions, etc.) will be composted.
- All unused food will be donated to the Palm Beach County Food Bank.
- A collection station for used running apparel and shoes will be donated for recycling, courtesy of the Nike store at the Palm Beach Outlets.
- All athletes will receive information in their packets regarding everyday practices that can help protect endangered species, such as the Malayan tiger. The Zoo will have keepers with up-close animal encounters sharing information on how race participants can help protect the species displayed.
Registration is now open for the “Save the Tiger 5k” race, with the first 500 runners receiving a free t-shirt featuring a photo of the Zoo’s male Malayan tiger, Mata. To register for the race, visit https://register.racepartner.com/SaveTheTiger5K/